WombatRPGs Home Forum Index Downloads & Games Arcade

Spriting, again

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    WombatRPGs - Forum Index -> Resources
View previous topic :: View next topic  
psy_wombats
Founder

Joined on: 02 Apr 2006

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 5:18 pm    Post subject: Spriting, again Reply with quote

So maybe you've heard of the last time I tried spriting without a guide...

So I'm giving it another shot for Project MMO aka Disconnect, this time in RM2K style without hopefully less failure involved. There are 52 classes, so what we're thinking is each base class has its own sprite, and then each class level adds something. For instance, a Warrior starts with basic armor, gets a cool helmet in the Knight promote, and a cape for Mageknight. That way it cuts down on my spriting work. It also means the base sprites have to be pretty good. Here's a first pass at the rogue:

Animated:

The green-blonde hair is probably out, and I'm not sure about the white shirt either. Any palette suggestions?
Crenomaster

Joined on: 19 Mar 2008

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As for the Project Disconnect, do it in Java dammit. You have already seen how unstable Night of Hyperactive Dead was. Unless you're 100% sure you can create mostly stable code.

As for the sprite, I think you swap the white shirt for dark red shirt.

Also if you even start working on the project on RM2K (or Java) I can help with making maps and spewing ideas. And mainly making sprites instead of just using Charas.ex
(coughcoughaddtoastersasaracecough)
quack_tape
Deity

Joined on: 20 May 2006

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The legs turn a strange color when he's walking up.

"This is rather as if you imagine a puddle waking up one morning and thinking, 'This is an interesting world I find myself in - an interesting hole I find myself in - fits me rather neatly, doesn't it? In fact it fits me staggeringly well, must have been made to have me in it!'"
-Douglas Adams
psy_wombats
Founder

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

quack_tape wrote:
The legs turn a strange color when he's walking up.

Those are supposed to be boots. They're probably a pixel too tall in retrospect.

Crenomaster wrote:
As for the Project Disconnect, do it in Java dammit. You have already seen how unstable Night of Hyperactive Dead was. Unless you're 100% sure you can create mostly stable code.

NotHD was unstable because it was a one month contest. I've gotten a bit better at coding in the past three years or so, so expect a battle system about as glitchy as LoaP's, that is to say, not glitchy. I'd rather do the project in Java or Flash, but unfortunately my partners only want to map in RM2K3.
Crenomaster

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I suppose you could do it in RM2K if your coding skills have improved. A RM2K MMORPG sounds pretty nice. If you're looking for people to help you, then count me in. As I said, I can make maps, make charsets and spew random ideas.
quack_tape
Deity

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was referring to the pant legs.

"This is rather as if you imagine a puddle waking up one morning and thinking, 'This is an interesting world I find myself in - an interesting hole I find myself in - fits me rather neatly, doesn't it? In fact it fits me staggeringly well, must have been made to have me in it!'"
-Douglas Adams
psy_wombats
Founder

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's the revised rogue and its three professional classes: scout, thief, freelancer.

Sorry that it's not animated, those gifs take a bit to make and I'm really tired.
Crenomaster

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They look a little bit bland in my opinion, they seem to be somewhat too similar in appearance.
psy_wombats
Founder

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, yeah, you just get a hat when you promote. The other base classes are where the variety's at.
Crenomaster

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If there's some sort of Job that can heal people, cure and inflict status ailments, give them beak masks and black hats. If you get the obvious reference, you are winrar.

Also, besides the hat, the classes should be given something else too like a tunic. Y'know, for example, a squire has at first a regular armor but upon when the squire gets promoted, he gets some sort of tunic over the armor.
quack_tape
Deity

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I don't like the blandness either.

-Douglas Adams
psy_wombats
Founder

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, true... It looks like our character artist (Dudesoft) wants to make individual face graphics for all 52 classes, so that should motivate me to give them all unique sprites. That also means I'll probably have to go back and redo most of these guys... Oh well, thanks for alerting me to the problem though. Here are some more Warrior sprites. The Fighter is a bit generic but a hair overhaul should solve that.

Warrior:

Fighter:

Knight:

Defender:

By the end of this project we'll have a complete 52 sprite generic fantasy class set, so if you ever need original graphics for that sort of game, this'll be the source, ha.
Crenomaster

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about the plague doctor suit? D:
quack_tape
Deity

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A hair overhaul would be quite nice.

-Douglas Adams
psy_wombats
Founder

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crenomaster wrote:
What about the plague doctor suit? D:

Haha, I'll save that for the characters that actually inflict status conditions. Even if it's been done before, it's too cool not to

quack_tape wrote:
A hair overhaul would be quite nice.

You mean the existing hair is ugly or that it would be nice to have the fighter/warrior have completely different hairstyles/colors?
quack_tape
Deity

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the existing hair is pretty shitty.

Don't take it personally, I still luv you <3

-Douglas Adams
psy_wombats
Founder

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heh. Any particular reasons why? Those two are pretty much my first attempts at original hair, and I'm having a ton of trouble with the healer's hair. Here are the portraits:

I'll post up my WIP of healerhair in a bit, but it's a total mess. Any idea how to approach making a front view of that hair spike?
quack_tape
Deity

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just treat it as if the middle of his hair is spiked when he's facing to or away from the screen. Add a few smaller spikes on either side to make it clear that he doesn't just have a giant blue column coming out of his forehead.

I like the portraits.

-Douglas Adams
psy_wombats
Founder

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, that turned out to be less of a trainwreck on the second shot. Nothing to be proud of with the hair, but at least it sort of looks like Will.

I'll probably make the mage tonight.
quack_tape
Deity

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The forward and backward view are good, but I think you should make the hair a little less angled on the two side views.

-Douglas Adams
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    WombatRPGs - Forum Index -> Resources All times are GMT
You are on page 1 out of 1

Go To Forum: