WombatRPGs Home Forum Index Downloads & Games Arcade

Well... Another contest. Double the time, sixth the prize!
Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next page...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
psy_wombats
Founder

Joined on: 02 Apr 2006

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 12:53 pm    Post subject: Well... Another contest. Double the time, sixth the prize! Reply with quote

http://www.angel-spire.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=1401

You in? Just wondering if anyone felt up to ANOTHER contest. This one is lax on guidelines and is basically a lame advertising ploy, and the first place prize is only fifty dollars. That's Sarevok's third place. This guy fails. Now that that's been established...

LoaP obviously failed, so do we want to try again? I'm not that enthusiastic as I'm not really accepted in this community, but hey, money's money. This team will obviously be a bit smaller as there's less to go around. I considered not making this an announcement, as I think this one's going to be a smaller team. But post if you're interested. The contest starts July 1st.
bob_esc
Legend

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We should so do this. Not only do we have a better chance of winning, but there is more time to make the game even better! I also want us to get back together to make another game. We could be kickass on a less tight schedual.
quack_tape
Deity

Joined on: 20 May 2006

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not?
We can use it as practice for Sarevok's next contest. You can't get good at something unless you do it a lot

So let's summarize what that guy said:

no time restriction
no story restriction
we have an entire month to do this
he doesn't seem to have high story expectations

am I missing anything?

also, I think that if we're going to do this, we should start brainstorming story ideas now. Everyone who wants to be on the team should contribute at least one basic idea (doesn't need to be a wall of text...just needs to be about the length of Spock_Logic's first post in his story topic thing)
does that sound good?

Quote:
We should so do this. Not only do we have a better chance of winning, but there is more time to make the game even better! I also want us to get back together to make another game. We could be kickass on a less tight schedule.
I was going to say something to the same effect. Right on, sir!

"This is rather as if you imagine a puddle waking up one morning and thinking, 'This is an interesting world I find myself in - an interesting hole I find myself in - fits me rather neatly, doesn't it? In fact it fits me staggeringly well, must have been made to have me in it!'"
-Douglas Adams
psy_wombats
Founder

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want to keep this team small due to the low prize money, and I think we should stick to four people. And Aulos is good at graphics. Any objections? (And Aulos, comments?)
bob_esc
Legend

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thing is, if we do this one, and the one in august, there's no time for us to do one of our own. Oh well. Better for cash then for nuthin
quack_tape
Deity

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Thing is, if we do this one, and the one in august, there's no time for us to do one of our own.

the only problem is that we never do our own anyway...

Quote:
I want to keep this team small due to the low prize money

I don't care about prize money, I care about making a good game...so if that was your only reason for four people, you can make it five now
besides, if we have a smaller team, it makes it more likely that we get less/no prize money, eh?

so is this the team?
Psy
Bob
QT
Aulos

"This is rather as if you imagine a puddle waking up one morning and thinking, 'This is an interesting world I find myself in - an interesting hole I find myself in - fits me rather neatly, doesn't it? In fact it fits me staggeringly well, must have been made to have me in it!'"
-Douglas Adams
bob_esc
Legend

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Others will feel left out, but untill they do something noteworth *coughcoughorpaymecoughcough* your right; thats the team(ish)
psy_wombats
Founder

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or what we can do is that nobody gets money, and everyone gets a t-shirt or something or we set the cash aside for a server or domain name or something of that nature. Yeah, anyone can join, but it ended up being us four last time with minor help from Sarlacc and RAGNAROK and things.
Aulos
Elite

Joined on: 26 Jul 2006

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My work for LoaP wasn't good really, so I don't expect to be included in the team, but if there's some small tasks I can do, custom sprites, and etc, I may be able to do that. I'm fine with no possible reward. After all, we all worked fairly hard on LoaP, but there was no monetary reward for any of us in the end.
quack_tape
Deity

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...there we are with the assumption that we're getting first place again...

I guess it's okay to rest on our laurels...after all, the games that beat us included one where the hero was very slow moving, the plot involved getting fish for cats, the dialog involved the cats telling the hero to speed up, and it used the DBS...

And we were considered what, a third as good as that game? That's really an honor. I guess I was wrong, there's no reason that we shouldn't expect to win.

Alright, let's start with teh brainstorming!

I'd start it off, but I have to go to Wikipedia...because, well, you know by now...

-Douglas Adams
bob_esc
Legend

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm clueless. I don't do plots; i just rip them off.
psy_wombats
Founder

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Modern setting. You play a little girl who finds a rare egg in her garden. It hatches into a Tiger. Game progresses as girl and tiger duo battle malicious zookeepers and greedy business execs, as the tiger grows into a demi-god that thanks the girl for her help and flies off to heaven with a seraphic trumpet flourish. Fin.
bob_esc
Legend

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers! Applause!

Sounds good as a rough outline.
Aulos
Elite

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

awesome. let's do this sh*t.
quack_tape
Deity

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

psy_wombats wrote:
Modern setting. You play a little girl who finds a rare egg in her garden. It hatches into a Tiger. Game progresses as girl and tiger duo battle malicious zookeepers and greedy business execs, as the tiger grows into a demi-god that thanks the girl for her help and flies off to heaven with a seraphic trumpet flourish. Fin.

bob wrote:
Cheers! Applause!

Sounds good as a rough outline.

Aulos wrote:
awesome. let's do this sh*t.

I'm going to assume that you guys were sarcastic...it's the only way I'll keep from strangling you
besides, no votes until we see everyone's ideas

Quote:
I'm clueless. I don't do plots; i just rip them off.

I don't care, make a horrible plot for all I care. Every contribution potentially helps

-Douglas Adams
Aulos
Elite

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no. I'm not kidding. Confused
quack_tape
Deity

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll explain why that's so horrible after psy sheds light on whether that was a joke or not (I really hope it was)

if it is, I don't need to do anything

if it isn't, it's me vs. the next three smartest people on the site...whopee...

-Douglas Adams
psy_wombats
Founder

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The phrase "seraphic trumpet flourish" would indicate a joke. But I am not ruling out a plot of this nature. I think it might be nice for a change. There would be no words obviously.
quack_tape
Deity

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I think it might be nice for a change. There would be no words obviously.

ummm...I'd really like to make a game with a coherent story, but that might just be me

also, don't go complaining "but using stories is so cliche'!"
because not using a story is much more cliche'...

-Douglas Adams
bob_esc
Legend

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a good idea w/out words...comunication by ! and ? and ... bubbles...aslo little ticked-off signs...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    WombatRPGs - Forum Index -> Announcements All times are GMT
Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next page...
You are on page 1 out of 3

Go To Forum: