WombatRPGs Home Forum Index Downloads & Games Arcade

Terra Nova Released
Go to page Previous page...  1, 2, 3  Next page...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
quack_tape
Deity

Joined on: 20 May 2006

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, I think Java would be cool to learn...if for no other reason than that putting "I can program Java" looks better than "I can program RM2k" on a resume... Wink

"This is rather as if you imagine a puddle waking up one morning and thinking, 'This is an interesting world I find myself in - an interesting hole I find myself in - fits me rather neatly, doesn't it? In fact it fits me staggeringly well, must have been made to have me in it!'"
-Douglas Adams
JMickle
Veteran

Joined on: 03 Nov 2008

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think we should do two small projects:

one with Game maker and one with Java.

then see which one we enjoyed more.
Aulos
Elite

Joined on: 26 Jul 2006

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm rooting for the Java one already. As QT said, saying "I can program in Java." sounds cooler. Although I feel like I'm going to be stuck in RPG Makers for long time.
Numbynumbnuts

Joined on: 29 May 2007

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

also, the diagonal walking seems too fast because it's like you cover more distance in the same amount of time as you would walking straight. anyway, i think that with the level of technology you guys have at hand, live action games might not be as easy to make great as turn-taking combat games. If you could incorporate a mixture between turn-taking combat and more exciting map movement it could be very good. I really have to emphasize that I'm not a big fan of the monotonous levels, especially the ones where nothing happens. However, I am glad that dialogue isn't as long now. A key thing to keep in mind is that these indie games you guys make aren't the $60 games people find in stores. What I mean by that is that they don't expect to play the game for more than 20 hours to beat it and they probably won't expect the most up-to date technology and graphics. They're looking for an instantly gratifying and entertaining game that doesn't need to last more than an hour. 10 minutes into EotM and I didn't really see much of a change in the system. I think people are looking for options like equips among other things.

As for me doing sprites, I've never done it before but if you guys give me some tips and the tools to do it I'm sure I've got the art skills for it.

quack_tape wrote:
NNN is pretty
psy_wombats
Founder

Joined on: 02 Apr 2006

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds excellent. Again, thanks for the feedback. I see what you mean about the diagonal movement... There is a point to be had here about the futility of action games with RM2K. Like I said after LoaP, what we just need is start-up-and-go fun. I think the Block Game would have this appeal. Anyway, I'm glad you noticed the dialogue... I was trying hard. Good to hear you're interested in spriting. I'll make sure to have someone contact you next contest... Or next project. But that's for another topic.
RAGNAROK
Elite

Joined on: 07 Jan 2007

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well i am completely incompetent at programming in any language so i don't care if we switch

and NNN to make sprites you draw a picture of a guy walking useing a template. not very hard but the details are annoying
Founder

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great description. But really, RAGNAROK, you'd have to learn a new method of scripting if we switched, unless I managed to get a Java program going that used RM-style resources...
quack_tape
Deity

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NNN, I'll try to post a good spriting tutorial by the end of vacation. Raggy can;t really do shading well yet, so it'll help him, too.

"This is rather as if you imagine a puddle waking up one morning and thinking, 'This is an interesting world I find myself in - an interesting hole I find myself in - fits me rather neatly, doesn't it? In fact it fits me staggeringly well, must have been made to have me in it!'"
-Douglas Adams
Numbynumbnuts

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tutor me phoo! i just have one problem. if you follow a human template for spriting how the deuce would you make anything else?

quack_tape wrote:
NNN is pretty
psy_wombats
Founder

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Usually you don't follow a human template; there are only so many pixels anyway. Generally it just involves a very good sense of proportion for humans... For everything else... I have no idea. The "template" is just where to center individual frames on one image.
quack_tape
Deity

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

psy, we/I use the human template body so all the sprites in the game can be the same style. No other reason.

-Douglas Adams
RAGNAROK
Elite

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i actualyy don't use a template... which is why tau was so dam tall untill qt chopped his legs off

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

QT i think a tutorial in spriting could become the start of a great tutoring database for the website... assuming we get more people

quack_tape wrote:
NNN is pretty
psy_wombats
Founder

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RAGNAROK wrote:
i actualyy don't use a template... which is why tau was so dam tall untill qt chopped his legs off

That was me, actually. QT just gave him a limp and chronic hip disorder.

NNN: Good idea, actually. That FAQ could probably use articles... If anyone feels like making tutorials or anything, I can put them up there.
quack_tape
Deity

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

psy_wombats wrote:
That was me, actually. QT just gave him a limp and chronic hip disorder.

He already had that. Don't try to pin everything on me Mad

I'm liking NNN's suggestion BTW

-Douglas Adams
RAGNAROK
Elite

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah. we cold make it and that wuold attract people here because we will show up on google searches like how to mke a sprite

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

how exactly do google searches work? anybody know how you could make such a tutorial show up more often on google search?

quack_tape wrote:
NNN is pretty
quack_tape
Deity

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Google doesn't release its search algorithms.
Apparently, it has something to do with how often a page is linked to from other websites, though. Tutorials are very popular link targets...I know that much.

-Douglas Adams
psy_wombats
Founder

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check the FAQ. I think you'll like it. People, start submitting articles!
RAGNAROK
Elite

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hooray! we will be popular!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    WombatRPGs - Forum Index -> Announcements All times are GMT
Go to page Previous page...  1, 2, 3  Next page...
You are on page 2 out of 3

Go To Forum: