WombatRPGs Home Forum Index Downloads & Games Arcade

Project Snowbound
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next page...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    WombatRPGs - Forum Index -> Lesser Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
psy_wombats
Founder

Joined on: 02 Apr 2006

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 4:14 am    Post subject: Project Snowbound Reply with quote

FINAL EDIT: Summary page outdated by Snowbound website at http://wombatrpgs.net/snowbound.php
If you want to tl;dr this: Interactive Lord of the Flies. If you don't, keep reading.

Premise

Character List

About the CKC

The Story/Plot/Narrative

Last edited by psy_wombats on Sun Nov 07, 2010 4:48 am; edited 20 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Blog Visit poster's website AIM Address
quack_tape
Deity

Joined on: 20 May 2006

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go for it.

You struck me as being too cynical to write stories set in boarding schools, but hey, I'm certainly not complaining.

So can you be a bit more clear about the whole "visual" part? Are we talking something thrown together in RM2K, or are you pulling all the stops on this?

"This is rather as if you imagine a puddle waking up one morning and thinking, 'This is an interesting world I find myself in - an interesting hole I find myself in - fits me rather neatly, doesn't it? In fact it fits me staggeringly well, must have been made to have me in it!'"
-Douglas Adams
quack_tape
Deity

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, don't reveal any more of the plot.

"This is rather as if you imagine a puddle waking up one morning and thinking, 'This is an interesting world I find myself in - an interesting hole I find myself in - fits me rather neatly, doesn't it? In fact it fits me staggeringly well, must have been made to have me in it!'"
-Douglas Adams
psy_wombats
Founder

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a visual novel. This is pretty much a typical backstory, except maybe a little more realistic than usual. I've never really seen an western VN, but I guess I'll try and make one.

This won't be in RM2K. I'm not sure quite what it'll be in. That's another TBD thing. It might be GM or else C++ or something. As far as the "visual" component, the typical VN just has the person's face against a background. So a combination of panorama + character portraits would be needed. We've never really done background illustrations before, so maybe I'd just do chipset-y stuff. But an artist would be needed to do the portraits, and probably quite a few of them. Either I'd coerce Aulos or go get some internets person. There's also going to be a map mechanic that's the source of a lot of the path splits, but I'm not sure how I'm going to incorporate that visually. Maybe a HUD.

I won't be revealing much more than that. Plot largely depends on character actions. I will, however, be posting on the actual characters.
quack_tape
Deity

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fair enough. Although I would strongly advise you not to create a universe, put the characters in it, and then let go of the reins. If you don't know where you're going with the plot, it will soon get bogged down (it happened for three books in the WoT series *shiver*).

-Douglas Adams
psy_wombats
Founder

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, I mean that the plot varies on what actions you chose for the characters.
quack_tape
Deity

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, I'm retarded, sorry.

Are we allowed to make requests for storyline directions or do you want complete control over that?

-Douglas Adams
psy_wombats
Founder

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go ahead and make suggestions. Basically the way I imagine it being set up now is that there are certain "key events" that always occur on specific days. (It's a VN, generally a date/time display is part of the HUD) The player's choices so far determine how those events are handled. Of course, certain choices would lead to completely separate branches. I assume you're going to make suggestions for the branches?
quack_tape
Deity

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed. I'd have to know more about the characters before I could suggest branches, though, so I'll wait a bit before I start.

-Douglas Adams
psy_wombats
Founder

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Edited to include some minor notes on names and roles. Also, as the list is incomplete right now, I know the following groups should be represented:

Archery team - Both protagonists are on this team, so it's well represented with their acquaintances
Track team - Large presence in the central gym area... Not really antagonistic, but not friendly
Swim team - A bunch of students that remain just out of reach for the beginning of the game, trapped at the pools
Drama club - Populate the other central area, the theater, where most of Magnus's early action takes place
Investment club - Potentially bands with a number of organizations to create a "state" to rival the protagonists' gym setup
Physics club - Similar to the investment club, but this group must be accessed to re-enable the emergency generators
Philosophy club - Trapped on the upper floor and most likely to die off without aid, but also has the potential to join the rival state
Jazz band - Random extras kicking around the theater area, more population for the early story

I'm willing to take any club suggestions.
quack_tape
Deity

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robotics club should be the one that sets up the generator. Physics clubs are full of retards.

-Douglas Adams
JMickle
Veteran

Joined on: 03 Nov 2008

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i wanna write music for the jazz band

the only thing i've read in this thread so far are the words 'jazz band'
JMickle
Veteran

Joined on: 03 Nov 2008

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=11381. 0

visual novel
psy_wombats
Founder

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha, yeah, I've played my share. Might try this one. Anyway, about updating: I'll get to it once I know what endings I'm getting up... Character list is garbage at the moment.
psy_wombats
Founder

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Character list updated in a major fashion; Rebecca's side complete for now. Also a new section on the CKC. As a lot of the choices involve which doors to open, its layout is pretty important. I made adjacency matrices for it!
quack_tape
Deity

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool, but I can never remember character lists when they're presented this way. I'd need to see how these characters interacted within the narrative of the story to get a good grasp of them.

CKC seems a lot like SHS.

-Douglas Adams
psy_wombats
Founder

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha, weird, I based it on MAMS, and the rest of the layout is a consequence of trying to introduce some linearity/tree nature into general building design. I would've chosen a grid layout, but the fire door system precluded it... It'll be more clear when I get the MSpaint map up.

Reason character list has to be like that is that there are multiple ways they interact with the plot, making them very difficult to keep track of. That's the reason I had to throw so many out...
quack_tape
Deity

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could you put up one plot line? It doesn't have to be the main plot line or even a possible plot line. I just want something so that I can get a general feel for what sort of thing happens and how people can fit in.

-Douglas Adams
psy_wombats
Founder

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure, as soon as I get one straightened out...
psy_wombats
Founder

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Completed the character list. Maybe I'll think up an example plotline later.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    WombatRPGs - Forum Index -> Lesser Discussion All times are GMT
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next page...
You are on page 1 out of 8

Go To Forum: