WombatRPGs Home Forum Index Downloads & Games Arcade

How interested would you guys be in a serialized novel?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    WombatRPGs - Forum Index -> Lesser Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
quack_tape
Deity

Joined on: 20 May 2006

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 7:41 am    Post subject: How interested would you guys be in a serialized novel? Reply with quote

I've been spending a lot of time writing this summer, to the point where I'm only really awful at it as opposed to really, really awful at it.

Anyway I've been practicing by writing a novelization of what used to be Project Firebird, except extremely streamlined, set in a different time period, starting at a different point in the story, and missing all the Mary Sues that used to be in there. It's completely unrecognizable.

That being said, I still think it's pretty shitty, but I need to kill this monster of a story once and for all if I'm ever going to be able to start anything else.

Would there be any interest in me posting a chapter every time I finish one? Right now I'm writing at NaNoWriMo speeds (maybe not as fast as psy that one time, but pretty close), but I'd probably post about one a week just so I can proofread/rewrite/make sure I'm not writing myself into any corners.

If not I will slink back into the woodworks and never mention this again Ghost

"This is rather as if you imagine a puddle waking up one morning and thinking, 'This is an interesting world I find myself in - an interesting hole I find myself in - fits me rather neatly, doesn't it? In fact it fits me staggeringly well, must have been made to have me in it!'"
-Douglas Adams
psy_wombats
Founder

Joined on: 02 Apr 2006

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be interested, anyway. Would you be trying this during NaNo, or just something on the side? And it's probably better to get the huge stories out as prose instead of games... Epistemology certainly showed that.
quack_tape
Deity

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in the process of writing it now.

I started it at the beginning of June and was 25,000 words into it last week. Then I decided that the main character was an unlikable, emo asshole, that the villain was doing things solely for the purpose of plot plot advancement, so I threw out almost everything and started again. I kept the prologue and a few scenes close to the climax and nothing else.

I'll post the prologue as soon as I'm sure that I don't need to throw it out at well.

Also, you're totally right about not doing it as a video game. It's really hard to get people to take video game plots seriously.

"This is rather as if you imagine a puddle waking up one morning and thinking, 'This is an interesting world I find myself in - an interesting hole I find myself in - fits me rather neatly, doesn't it? In fact it fits me staggeringly well, must have been made to have me in it!'"
-Douglas Adams
quack_tape
Deity

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm postponing this for a while. I'm still churning out pages at the same rate, but I've noticed that the quality of my writing increases significantly after I wait a while and then do a rewrite, so I don't want to post anything yet.

-Douglas Adams
psy_wombats
Founder

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everything's better after editing anyway.
quack_tape
Deity

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So true. I'd illustrate that comment with a before and after, but I burn my first drafts in the fires of the recycle bin once I'm done with them.

-Douglas Adams
quack_tape
Deity

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A quick comment from the pit.

I realized this week that I made one group of magic users too strong. They can summon gateways between two different points in space. I hadn't actually thought out how combat would work for them until recently. Turns out they instantly kill everything in their path. Unfortunately, this power is inescapably tied to the plot? The solution? Make all other magic systems comparably powerful. Now fights last an average of a few seconds and the villain has changed from being a reasonably skilled fighter to the de-facto master of local time and space. He makes people explode and can move anywhere almost instantly. This is all because I broke out a pen and paper took my magic system to its logical conclusion. *sigh*

TL;DR: Think out your magic systems ahead of time, kids. Or don't apply physics.

-Douglas Adams
bob_esc
Legend

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This looks like fun. I sure as hell hope that you know how to write a combat scene. Cause if you can't, we will all be like "Well that happened kind of fast."

Real writers can tell a gripping tale of battle. Just ask JK Rowling.

(in case you couldn't tell, that was sarcasm)

(implying she is low quality at that)
quack_tape
Deity

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, combat is surprising hard to pull off. I'm a big fan of abstracting the hell out it, but that only works once the reader is familiar with the fighting system.

-Douglas Adams
psy_wombats
Founder

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never had issues with the fight scenes in Epistemology, actually. The style was mostly play-by-play without idiotic onomatoepia stuff everywhere. Just try not to be a comic book and you're set.
quack_tape
Deity

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My only problem with doing it blow by blow is that it makes the combat clunkier. Case in point, I was reading Fall of Hyperion earlier today and ran across a fight scene between the super-fast Shrike and another character. The author (whose fight scenes are normally fantastic) did a blow by blow and described every single slash and attack in great detail. The fight should have had a short, panicked feel and instead it seemed like two generals fighting in FE.

That doesn't always happen, but if you're not careful it can.

Also, I think I might post the first chapter today. Just because I have a lot of free time.

-Douglas Adams
bob_esc
Legend

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is a wonderful analogy.
Also, so long as you find something, everything will be chill.

Also, psy? WHIZ! BANG!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    WombatRPGs - Forum Index -> Lesser Discussion All times are GMT
You are on page 1 out of 1

Go To Forum: